Saturday, March 15, 2014

Reflections on the Media...and a Media "Star"

I just saw this obit, and it reminded me that I've seen Bob Thomas' byline on AP Hollywood news stories over the years. I bet most of us have, since he holds the record for most consecutive Oscar shows covered by an entertainment reporter (66 -- from 1944-2010).  He also was in the Ambassador Hotel in 1968 when Robert Kennedy was shot, and he delivered this bulletin to the AP.   We hear a lot about the sad state of the media, and one wonders if we'll ever see reporter with longevity of Bob Thomas given the increasing influence of social media citizen journalists.  Perhaps not, but as a former reporter myself, and as a PR person who values the role  plays the media in the news we're charged with delivering, I hope there is always a place for professional reporters -- even if they're not around for six decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment